[openstack-dev] {openstack-dev][tc] Leadership training proposal/info

Colette Alexander colettealexander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:54:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 03/04/2016 02:00 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Colette Alexander
> > <colettealexander at gmail.com <mailto:colettealexander at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     tl;dr - If you're a member of the TC or the Board and would like to
> >     attend Leadership Training at ZingTrain in Ann Arbor, please get
> >     back to me ASAP with your contact info and preferred timing/dates
> >     for this two-day training - also, please let me know whether April
> >     20/21 (or April 21/22) would specifically work for you or not.
> >
> >
> >
> > I'd like to, but curious about the possibility of deferring until after
> > the new TC is elected? I know the seats tend to stay static, but with
> > possibly half the TC changing it would offer a nice opportunity to get
> > to know any new members.
> The whole thing sounds great, however the timing of that week in April
> is problematic, for the same reason that back to back summit /
> conference weeks would be. 2 weeks away from family is really tough.
> Hopefully there will be some later opportunity.

I hope so, too!

Current status, btw is 5 TC members as a 'yes' for going on April 21/22  -
the Thurs/Fri before the summit. 4 additional people have mentioned they're
interested, but unable to make the scheduling work for this particular

I also have heard from some core reviewers and PTLs who are eager to
participate, and who've asked to attend if it's possible.

My initial thoughts were that this might ideally be located as far away
from mid-cycles or summits as possible, to give those attending a lot of
time and space to soak it in. I backed away from that stance with
suggesting the week before the summit only because I realized that a) This
is meant to be more of a pilot/test balloon than a final version of some
kind of training, and b) getting everyone to be in one place physically is
going to be difficult, no matter how we approach scheduling. (For example,
Thierry is basically unable to attend May/June/July for anything at this
point, as his schedule is booked up)

I'm absolutely okay with pushing this off to another time, if the TC feels
very strongly about waiting until more TC members can attend (I expect,
even with the newer elected TC, we'll get no more than 8 TC members
attending for the April dates). However, if you all are comfortable, adding
in a few PTLs/core reviewers who are interested and able to attend might be
a good addition to the group in terms of evaluating the potential of the
training. The expectation would be that those who attend would be able to
report back to the rest of the TC, the Board, and the community at large,
and talk about what they thought worked/what didn't, and make
recommendations for future leadership work in the community based on that.

Let me know what you're thinking - I'd love to have the April date nailed
down by early next week (Mon/Tues) *before* the TC meeting so I can allow
people to book their travel.

Thanks everyone!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20160304/7a7e54b6/attachment.html>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list