[openstack-dev] [Manila] Concurrent execution of drivers

Valeriy Ponomaryov vponomaryov at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 4 13:34:02 UTC 2016

John,

each instance of manila-share service will perform "ensure_share" operation
for each "share instance" that is located at
"hostname at driver_config_group_name".
So, only one driver is expected to run "ensure_share" for some "share
instance", because each instance of a driver will have its own unique value
of "hostname at driver_config_group_name".

Valeriy

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:15 PM, John Spray <jspray at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Shinobu Kinjo <shinobu.kj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What are you facing?
>
> In this particular instance, I'm dealing with a case where we may add
> some metadata in ceph that will get updated by the driver, and I need
> to know how I'm going to be called.  I need to know whether e.g. I can
> expect that ensure_share will only be called once at a time per share,
> or whether it might be called multiple times in parallel, resulting in
> a need for me to do more synchronisation a lower level.
>
> This is more complicated than locking, because where we update more
> than one thing at a time we also have to deal with recovery (e.g.
> manila crashed halfway through updating something in ceph and now I'm
> recovering it), especially whether the places we do recovery will be
> called concurrently or not.
>
> My very favourite answer here would be a pointer to some
> documentation, but I'm guessing much this stuff is still at a "word of
> mouth" stage.
>
> John
>
> > On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM, John Spray <jspray at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What expectations should driver authors have about multiple instances
> >> of the driver being instantiated within different instances of
> >> manila-share?
> >>
> >> For example, should I assume that when one instance of a driver is
> >> having ensure_share called during startup, another instance of the
> >> driver might be going through the same process on the same share at
> >> the same time?  Are there any rules at all?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> John

> > --
> > Email:
> > shinobu at linux.com
> > GitHub:
> > shinobu-x
> > Blog:
> > Life with Distributed Computational System based on OpenSource

Kind Regards
Valeriy Ponomaryov
www.mirantis.com
vponomaryov at mirantis.com