[openstack-dev] [Fuel] FFE request for osnailyfacter refactoring for Puppet Master compatibility

Scott Brimhall sbrimhall at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 2 00:21:40 UTC 2016

Greetings,

As you might know, we are working on integrating a 3rd party
configuration management platform (Puppet Master) with Fuel.
This integration will provide the capability for state enforcement
and will further enable "day 2" operations of a Fuel-deployed site.
We must refactor the 'osnailyfacter' module in Fuel Library to be
compatible with both a masterful and masterless Puppet approach.

This change is required to enable a Puppet Master based LCM
solution.

We request a FFE for this feature for 3 weeks, until Mar 24.  By that
time, we will provide a tested solution in accordance with the following
specifications [1].

The feature includes the following components:

1. Refactor 'osnailyfacter' Fuel Library module to be compatible with
Puppet Master by becoming a valid and compliant Puppet module.
This involves moving manifests into the proper manifests directory
and moving the contents into classes that can be included by Puppet
Master.
2. Update deployment tasks to update their manifest path to the new
location.

Merging this code is relatively non-intrusive to core Fuel Library code
as it is merely re-organizing the file structure of the osnailyfacter
module to be compatible with Puppet Master.  Upon updating the
deployment tasks to reflect the new location of manifests, this feature
remains compatible with the masterless puppet apply approach that
Fuel uses while providing the ability to integrate a Puppet Master
based LCM solution.

Overall, I consider this change as low risk for integrity and timeline of
the release and it is a critical feature for the ability to integrate an LCM
solution using Puppet Master.

Please consider our request and share concerns so we can properly
resolve them.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/fuel-refactor-osnailyfacter-for-puppet-master-compatibility

---
Best Regards,