[openstack-dev] [nova] Should we cleanup migration from virt drivers?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 1 17:52:58 UTC 2016

On 3/1/2016 1:47 AM, Eli Qiao wrote:
> hello Nova hackers
>
> I see in some of virt drivers (see belows links) 's
> confirm_resize/revert_resize(or something like that) passing a parameter
> 'migration',
> but it is not used at all in virt layer drivers, I wonder why we still
> keep them (to reserved for future usage)? can we do a cleanup?
> IMO, migration status should be maintained by nova compute layer instead
> of virt layer.
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/vmwareapi/vmops.py#L1372
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/hyperv/migrationops.py#L137
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L7437

It at least looks safe to do that. The xenapi and ironic drivers don't
use it either.

Looking at the history of the virt driver method, it looks like it was
added back in essex [1] but wasn't used in that change either, so
probably just an oversight on why it needed to be passed down to the
virt driver.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/6f3ae6e1e5453330e14807348f6e3f6587877946

Matt Riedemann