[openstack-dev] [Ceilosca][Neutron][Monasca]

Rubab Syed rubab.syed21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:25:22 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm planning to write a plugin for Monasca that would enable router's
traffic monitoring per subnet per tenant. For that purpose, I'm using
Neutron l3 metering extension [1] that allows you to filter traffic based
on CIDRs.

My concerns:

- Now given the fact that this extension can be used to create labels and
rules for particular set of IPs and ceilometer can be used to meter the
bandwidth based on this data and monasca publisher for ceilometer is also
available, would that plugin be useful somehow? Where are we at ceilosca
right now?

- Even though ceilometer allows to meter bandwidth at l3 level, we still
have to create explicit labels and rules for all subnets attached to a
router. In a production environment where there could be multiple routers
belonging to multiple tenants, isn't it a bit of a work? I was wondering if
I could automate the label and rule creation process. My script would
automatically detect subnets and create rules per interface of router. It
would help in ceilosca as well and can be used by the router plugin (given
plugin is not redundant work). Comments?

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/Metering/Bandwidth

Thanks,
Rubab