[openstack-dev] [Fuel] FFE request for ConfigDB service

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 1 13:22:05 UTC 2016

Greetings,

As you might know, we are working on centralised storage for
deployment configuration data in Fuel. Such store will allow external
3rd-party services to consume the entirety of settings provided by
Fuel to deployment mechanisms on target nodes. It will also allow to
manage and override the settings via simple client application.

This change is required to enable Puppet Master based LCM solution.

We request a FFE for this feature for 3 weeks, until Mar 24. By that
time, we will provide tested solution in accordance with the following
specifications [1] [2]

The feature includes 3 main components:
1. Extension to Nailgun API with separate DB structure to store serialized data
2. Backend library for Hiera to consume the API in question to lookup
values of the certain parameters
3. Astute task to download all serialized data from nodes and upload
them to ConfigDB API upon successful deployment of cluster

Since introduction of stevedore-based extensions [3], we could develop
extensions in separate code repos. This makes change to Nailgun
non-intrusive to core code.
Backend library will be implemented in fuel-library code tree and
packaged as a sub-package. This change also doesn't require changes in
the core code.
Astute task will add a task in the flow. We will make this task
configurable, i.e. normally this code path won't be used at all. It
also won't touch core code of Astute.

Overall, I consider this change as low risk for integrity and timeline
of the release.

Please, consider our request and share concerns so we could properly
resolve them.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/upload-deployment-facts-to-configdb
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/serialized-facts-nailgun-api
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/stevedore-extensions-discovery