[openstack-dev] [charms] inclusion of charm-helpers (LGPL licensed)

Billy Olsen billy.olsen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:21:57 UTC 2016

I suspect that the reactive charming model wouldn't have this issue
due to the ability to essentially statically link the libraries via
wheels/pip packages. If that's the case, it's likely possible to
follow along the same lines as the base-layer charm and bootstrap the
environment using pip/wheel libraries included at build time. As I see
it, this would require:

* Updates to the process/tooling for pushing to the charm store
* Update the install/upgrade-charm hook to bootstrap the environment
with the requirements files
* If using virtualenv (not a requirement in my mind), then each of the
hooks needs to be bootstrapped to ensure that they are running within
the virtualenv.

To make life easier in development mode, the charms can download from
pypi if the linked wheel/pip package isn't available - it saves a
build step before deployment, though certainly for the published
versions the statically linked libraries should be included (which,
from my understanding, I believe the licensing allows and why the
reactive charming/layered model wouldn't have this issue).