[openstack-dev] [lbaas][octavia] suggestion for today's meeting agenda: How to make the Amphora-agent support additional Linux flavors

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 13:01:42 UTC 2016

> On 30 Jun 2016, at 06:03, Kosnik, Lubosz <lubosz.kosnik at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Like Doug said Amphora suppose to be a black box. It suppose to get some data - like info in /etc/defaults and do everything inside on its own.
> Everyone will be able to prepare his own implementation of this image without mixing things between each other.

That would be correct if the image would not be maintained by the project itself. Then indeed every vendor would prepare their own image, maybe collaborate on common code for that. Since this code is currently in octavia, we kinda need to plug into it for other vendors. Otherwise you pick one and give it a preference.

But if we can make the agent itself vendor agnostic, so that the only differentiation would happen around components stuffed into the image (kernel, haproxy version, security tweaks, …), then it will be obviously a better path than trying to template the agent for multiple vendors.

A silly question: why does the agent even need to configure the network using distribution mechanisms and not just calling to ip link and friends?

Ihar