[openstack-dev] [TripleO] TripleO deep dive hour?

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 09:49:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 06:00:11PM -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> We've got some new contributors around TripleO recently, and I'd like
> to offer up a "TripleO deep dive hour".
>
> The idea is to spend 1 hour a week in a high bandwidth environment
> (Google Hangouts / Bluejeans / ???) to deep dive on a TripleO related
> topic. The topic could be anything TripleO related, such as general
> onboarding, CI, networking, new features, etc.
>
> I'm by no means an expert on all those things, but I'd like to
> facilitate the conversation and I'm happy to lead the first few
> "dives" and share what I know. If it proves to be a popular format,
> hopefully I can convince some other folks to lead discussions on
> various topics.

Great idea, I'd be happy to volunteer for leading a session on the TripleO
Heat template model, heat debugging and perhaps some other topics.

> I think it'd be appropriate to record these sessions so that what is
> discussed is available to all. However, I don't intend these to be a
> presentation format, and instead more of a q&a discussion. If I don't
> get any ideas for topics though, I may choose to prepare something to
> present :).

Yeah, I like the Q+A format idea - I've done some slide based discussions
like this and I think a more interactive session (perhaps with some screen
sharing to hack on live examples and walk through code) would be helpful.

Perhaps we should start an etherpad where folks can put their ideas for topics?

I created https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deep-dive-topics but let
me know if you had another location in mind.

We could even broaden the scope so folks either request deep-dive on a
particular topic,  or a live session on "how do I integrate $foo" and we
could hack on some patches live, talking through the process then push the
result to gerrit.

> Our current meeting time of day at 1400 UTC seems to suit a lot of
> folks, so how about 1400 UTC on Thursdays? If folks think this is
> something that would be valuable and want to do it, we could start
> next Thursday, July 7th.

+1, sounds good, thanks!

Steve