[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Jun 24 15:46:26 UTC 2016

On 06/24/2016 10:10 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Amrith Kumar's message of 2016-06-24 10:13:37 +0000:

Also, _defaulting_ to python3 in the distro is different than python3
being available to be installed. Even with Ubuntu Trusty and RHEL7 you
can apt-get install python3 | yum install python3.

So I do not think it is important whether or not python3 is the default
python on the machine. The important thing is that on all of our
supported platforms, python3 is easily available. That means that our
distros can package OpenStack components and do the things that packages
need to do to make sure that they run with python3. We're already at
that point, so moving forward with python3 for OpenStack should not be
blocked on distro support at this point.