[openstack-dev] [grenade] upgrades vs rootwrap

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 24 09:12:27 UTC 2016

Angus Lees wrote:
> [...]
> None of these are great, but:
>
> Possibility 1:  Backdoor rootwrap
>
> However if we assume rootwrap already exists then we _could_ rollout a
> new version of oslo.rootwrap that contains a backdoor that allows
> privsep-helper to be run as root for any context, without the need to
> install a new rootwrap filter.
>
> Disclaimers:
>
> - It wouldn't work for virtualenvs, because the "privsep-helper"
> executable won't be in sudo's usual PATH.
>
> - Retro-fitting something like that to rootwrap feels like it's skirting
> close to some sort of ethical contract we've made with admins regarding
> rootwrap's featureset.  Not saying we shouldn't do it, just that we
> should think about how an operator is going to feel about that.
>

> Possibility 2: Wider rootwrap filter
>
> In the past, I've been proposing rootwrap filters that match only
> specific privsep "privileged contexts" by name.  On further reflection,
> if we're assuming the existing python modules installed into root's
> python path are already trustworthy (and we _are_ assuming that), then
> it might also be reasonable to trust *any* privsep entrypoint declared
> within that module path.  This gives a larger attack surface to think
> about (particularly if python libraries including privsep decorators
> were installed for some reason other than providing privsep entry
> points), but there's no reason why this is _necessarily_ an issue.
>
> This allows us to get to a single rootwrap filter per-project (or
> rather, "per-rootwrap") since projects use separate rootwrap config
> directories - so we would still have to do a thing once per project.
>

> Possibility 3: Skip rootwrap, use just sudo
>
> sudoers isn't very expressive - but we could install a new rootwrap-like
> wrapper into sudoers once system-wide, which includes some sort of logic
> to start privsep-helpers.  This could be as simple as a small shell
> script.  The advantage this has over rootwrap is that it would contain
> some sort of system-wide config, rather than per-project.
>
> Downsides
>
> - Would still need to be installed once system-wide.
>
> - Would need to be configured per-virtualenv, since otherwise we have no
> way to know which virtualenvs should be given root powers.
>

> Possibility 4: Run as root initially
>
> Another option would be to follow the usual Unix daemon model: Start the
> process with all required privileges, and avoid sudo/rootwrap entirely.
>
> In this version, we take a once-off hit to tell everyone to start
> running their OpenStack agents as root (probably from init/systemd), and
> right at the top of main() we fork() the privsep-helper and then drop to
> a regular uid.  No sudo or rootwrap ever (although the unprivileged code
> could continue to use it while we clean up all the legacy code).
>
> A glorious future, but still a big per-project deployment change that
> has to be managed somehow.

I'm adding Possibility (0): change Grenade so that rootwrap filters from
N+1 are put in place before you upgrade.

No perfect answer here... I'm hesitating between (0), (1) and (4). (4)
is IMHO the right solution, but it's a larger change for downstream. (1)
is a bit of a hack, where we basically hardcode in rootwrap that it's
being transitioned to privsep. That's fine, but only if we get rid of
rootwrap soon. So only if we have a plan for (4) anyway. Option (0) is a
bit of a hard sell for upgrade procedures -- if we need to take a hit in
that area, let's do (4) directly...

In summary, I think the choice is between (1)+(4) and doing (4)
directly. How doable is (4) in the timeframe we have ? Do we all agree
that (4) is the endgame ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)