[openstack-dev] [cinder] No middle-man - when does/will Nova directly connect iSCSI volumes?

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Thu Jun 23 16:50:11 UTC 2016

Daniel, Thanks. Looking for a sense of direction.

Clearly there is some range of opinion, as Walter indicates. :)

Not sure you are get to 100% direct connection to QEMU. When there is
dedicated hardware to do off-board processing of the connection to storage,
you might(?) be stuck routing through the nova-compute host Linux. (I am
not an expert in this area, so I could easily be wrong.) This sort of
hardware tends to be associated with higher-end "enterprise" storage and
hosts (and higher cost). The storage guys are in the habit of calling these
"HBA adaptors" (for high-bandwidth) - might just be a local thing.

I *suspect* that higher cost will drive most cloud deployments away from
that sort of specialized hardware. In which case the direct-connect to QEMU
model should (mostly?) work. (My non-expert guess.)