[openstack-dev] [tempest][nova][defcore] Add option to disable some strict response checking for interop testing

Jay Faulkner jay at jvf.cc
Wed Jun 22 19:13:40 UTC 2016

On 6/22/16 12:01 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 06/22/2016 02:37 PM, Chris Hoge wrote:

>>> This is a point of confusion.
>>>
>>> The API definition did not allow that. The implementation of the API
>>> stack did.
>> And downstream vendors took advantage of that. We may
>> not like it, but it’s a reality in the current ecosystem.
> And we started saying "stop it" 2 years ago. And we've consistently been
> saying stop it all along. And now it's gone.
>
> And yes, for people that did not get ahead of this issue and engage the
> community, it now hurts. But this has been a quite long process.
I don't wanna wade fully into this discussion, but a question about this
here as there seems to be somewhat of a double standard. I know
upstream, we generally "pay the price" for bad API decisions almost
indefinitely, because we don't want to break users. Is it reasonable to
expecting a public/vendor cloud, who will typically has even more
change-averse users, to change that API out from under users without a
version bump?

-Jay