[openstack-dev] [tc][pbr][packaging][all] Definition of Data Files (config) in setup.cfg

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 22 15:06:22 UTC 2016

On 06/12/2016 10:45 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> [...]
>> I'm sorry if that sounds like a hard line, but we had an ongoing
>> series of bugs in pbr - the gift that keeps on giving - from the
>> previous attempts to work around defects upstream of pbr rather than
>> fixing those defects directly, which is a much better strategy : less
>> cost, less technical debt, benefits the entire community, gets better
>> outcomes.
>
> I'm going to have to second what Robert says here.
>
> Also - I would like to add the following.
>
> Having pip or setup.py install install a config file is at best a
> strange thing to want, as it does not have the mechanisms to deal with
> templating in values, or dealing with conflicts with locally changed
> file values on upgrades.
>
> Consider the case where a person does "pip install keystone" to install
> keystone.
>
> If that command installs keystone.conf into /etc/keystone - there is
> _NO_ way that that config file will have any useful values. The user
> will then edit the file to add the values into the file that need to be
> added. Then, the user will, at a later point in time do "pip install -U
> keystone" to upgrade the keystone installation.
>
> What does pip do? Does it overwrite /etc/keystone/keystone.conf? What
> about the user's values? Does it NOT overwrite
> /etc/keystone/keystone.conf? Why not?
>
> This is, btw, why dpkg and rpm and friends exist. It's their job.
>
> Now, you might argue, there are files, such as the paste config files
> which are configs that the software needs to install to be useful.
>
> I will call hogwash on that. That we install files such as that which
> are actually code has been a deployer nightmare since day one, and the
> solution is not to make pip smarter, it's to stop installing such files.
>
> NOW - if it's quite literally a file that just exists better as a file
> and not direct python code - that's fine - just put it into the package
> itself and then load it either by relative paths from the package or via
> pkg_resources. For instance, one could put paste.conf into
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keystone/paste.ini instead of
> into etc.
>
> Which is my way of saying:
>
> - If it's a file that one expects the user to edit, having pip/setup.py
> install it is a bad idea
> - If it's a file that one does NOT expect the user to edit, put it into
> the package.
>
> There is, of course, a class of files that meet neither condition:
> manpages. Yup. Manpage handling is bong. But we already have as much
> special casing in pbr as I think is reasonable to do the best we can
> with manpages. That best is crappy anyway, which brings us back to
> Robert's point about fixing things in distutils/setuptools.
>
> But seriously - figuring out _why_ we want pip to be able to deal with
> config files I think would be much better served by reducing the amount
> of boilerplate config we expect users to plop down. No amount of code in

I proposed to use the --install-layout=deb parameter, so that *ONLY*
distros would be affected. But this was also rejected. Could you explain
why it would be a bad idea?

Also, I fail to understand why it's ok to have "python setup.py install"
to install things in etc/ in the case of a virtualenv, but you think
it's forbidden to fix the silly /usr/etc path when called by packaging.

Here, I'm not trying to add a feature, just address a bug. Because
that's really what we are dealing with here (unless someone is insane
enough to believe that installing stuff in /usr/etc is ok, somehow...).

Also, Monty, I read you writing that nobody should ever attempt to use
pbr to install config files in etc, not even using virtualenv. However,
it's already a common practice in OpenStack. So like it or not, we
should deal with it.

As for the answer of Robert, yes, please explain to me how I can attempt
to fix it in setuptools / pip / whatever. In the long run, I agree it
should be nice, and that's the way to go.

Though probably you're maybe being misslead when writing:

On 06/12/2016 04:13 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> Except that noone uses 'setup.py install' - *except* for rpm and dpkg
> packagers. Everyone else uses pip, and pip won't pass new options.

In terms of actual code having to deal with this issue, the folks using
pip count as 1 type of setup. Package maintainers count as 5 currently
(Debian, Ubuntu, RDO, SuSE and Gento). It doesn't mater how many *users*
these groups of packaging system have. So IMO, trying to fix the work of
5 type of programming vs a single one (even if that single one has more
developers using it) isn't that silly.

If on top, we're protecting it with --install-layout=deb, or reading
anything else that would work for other distro (an env var?) then I'm
sure it's going to be safe for everyone, and I do believe that this is
the pragmatic thing to do, until upper level of tooling can be fixed.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)