[openstack-dev] [nova] Vendordata improvements

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 22 13:03:35 UTC 2016

On 6/21/2016 12:53 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> So, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/317739 is basically done I think.
> I'm after people's thoughts on:
>
>  - I need to do some more things, as described in the commit message.
> Are we ok with them being in later patches to get reviews moving on this?

I'd be OK with caching/performance improvements in subsequent changes.
Docs on this are going to be important to land, so they could be
separate but if this is going to get into Newton I'd want the docs to be
in Newton also.

>  - I'm unsure what level of tempest testing makes sense here. How much
> would you like to see? Do we need to add a vendordata REST service to
> devstack? That might be complicated in the amount of time available...

I don't think Tempest tests anything from the metadata API service. We
only have that running in a handful of jobs (the postgres job is the
main one). We could probably write a test though that ssh's into a guest
and then pulls the data from the metadata service. I'm not sure what
you'd populate into the dynamic vendor data endpoint though, maybe just
test data in devstack?

I think we should have functional tests in the Nova tree for this at
least - how feasible would that be? In other words, would we have to
stub out stuff to the point that it would be a useless test in nova's
functional test tree?