[openstack-dev] [packaging-deb] Status of the project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 22 12:42:21 UTC 2016

On 06/22/2016 12:34 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Is there a higher-level overview somewhere of what packaging-deb does?

The goal is to do all of the OpenStack packaging directly within the
OpenStack infra, with enough gating so that gerrit starts to make sense.

> Should it be useful to me as the packager of a Neutron driver project
> (networking-calico)?

I very much hope it will. That's in fact one of the reason we created
this project: to help contribution from everyone, through the gerrit
process.

Though currently, I would advise you to get in touch with me on IRC.
Currently, we're all in irc.debian.org, aka OFTC, in #debian-openstack,
before we move to a channel in Freenode, on #openstack-pkg. BTW, why
aren't the robots joining?

Anyway, I'll get your package uploaded and maintained directly in Debian
(this process is called "sponsoring an upload"). I've done that already
for the networking-mlnx source package, and I believe everyone is happy
with the state of this package. I wish every ISV was doing the same:
collaborating as well with Debian as Melanox guys did.

BTW, if you didn't know, one of the side effect of an upload in Debian
is that this package will also reach Ubuntu (through automated sync from
Debian).

> (Currently I've rolled my own processes for
> generating Debian packages for Ubuntu Trusty and Xenial.)

Please join IRC, and send me these packages for review.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)