[openstack-dev] [requirements][packaging] Normalizing requirements file

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 22 10:42:48 UTC 2016

On 06/22/2016 01:36 AM, Haïkel wrote:

>> I'm fine with doign something like this.  I wrote [1] some time ago but didn't
>> push on it as I needed to verify that this wouldn't create a "storm" of
>> pointless updates that just reorder things in every projects *requirements.txt.
>>
>> I think the first step is to get the 'tool' added to the requirements repo to
>> make it easy to run again when things get out of wack.
>>
>> perhaps openstack_requirements/cmds/normalize ?
>>

> Thanks Swapnil and Tony for your positive comments.
>
> I didn't submit the script as I wanted to see in real conditions, how
> well it fare and
> get feedback from my peers, first. I'll submit the script in a separate review.
>
>> we can bikeshed on the output format / incrementally improve things if we have
>> a common base.
>>

> makes sense, I tried to stay as close to the main current style
>
> Regards,
> H.
>
>> So I think that's a -1 on your review as it stands until we have the tool merged.
>>
>> Yours Tony.
>>
>> [1] https://gist.github.com/tbreeds/f250b964383922bdea4645740ae4b195

The reason the requirements lines are in a completely odd order is
because that's the string representation from pip/pkg_resources. It
might be good to get that fixed at the same time, because the resolver
work in pip gets harder to compare results if our order and their order
for string representation is different.

And I agree, the upstream string order is kind of madness. :)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net