[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Consolidating TripleO validations with Browbeat validations

Martin André m.andre at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 14:34:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Tomas Sedovic <tsedovic at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 06:37 PM, Joe Talerico wrote:
>>
>> Hello - It would seem there is a little bit of overlap with TripleO
>> validations ( clapper validations ) and Browbeat *Checks*. I would
>> like to see these two come together, and I wanted to get some feedback
>> on this.
>>
>> For reference here are the Browbeat checks :
>> https://github.com/openstack/browbeat/tree/master/ansible/check
>>
>> We check for common deployment mistakes, possible deployment
>> performance issues and some bugs that could impact the scale and
>> performance of your cloud... At the end we build a report of found
>> issues with the cloud, like :
>>
>> https://github.com/openstack/browbeat/blob/master/ansible/check/browbeat-example-bug_report.log
>>
>> We eventually wanted to take these findings and push them to
>> ElasticSearch as metadata for our result data (just so we would be
>> aware of any BZs or possibly missed tuning).
>>
>> Anyhoo, I just would like to get feedback on consolidating these
>> checks into TripleO Validations if that makes sense. If this does make
>> sense, who could I work with to see that this happens?
>

> Hey!
>
> I'd love to have a single place for all the validations if it's at all
> possible.
>
> Our repos are structured a little differently, but I hope we can come up
> with a solution that works for both uses.
>
> The primary idea behind the tripleo-validations (née Clapper) repo is to
> have have checks in the various stages of the deployment to find potential
> hardware issues or incorrect configuration early.
>
> We want to have these run by the cli and the web ui automatically, which is
> why we opted for the one validation (playbook) with extra metadata per file
> approach.
>
> There are two people working on these right now: myself and Martin André.
> We're in #tripleo (mandre & shadower). Feel free to talk to either of us,
> though I suspect I may have more time for this.
>
> We're both in the CE(S)T so there should be some overlap for realtime chat.

This is great! There's indeed a lot of overlap between browbreat
checks and tripleo-validations, and yeah, I think it makes perfect
sense to try to consolidate the tripleo-validations. You'll notice the
tripleo-validations repo is currently empty; we're starting from a
clean slate and haven't yet imported any of the the existing clapper
validations so now is actually a good time to discuss what you want to
see in the repo.

There will be a mistral workflow [1] that runs the validations (or
groups of validations). We can imagine an action (or separate
workflow) that pushes the results to ElasticSearch, but that would
require you to run the validations through mistral. Alternatively, we
could probably build this mechanism directly in ansible by adding some
kind of hook.

Martin

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/313632/