[openstack-dev] [nova] Placement API WSGI code -- let's just use flask

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 21 13:10:00 UTC 2016

On 06/21/2016 08:42 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2016-06-21 08:00:50 -0400:

>>> I really don't want to wait for the mid-cycle. Happy to discuss in the
>>> Nova meeting, but my preference is to have Chris just modify his patch
>>> series to use Flask now and review it.

>>> Because Doug persuaded me that the benefits of being consistent with
>>> what the community is using outweigh my (and Chris') personal misgivings
>>> about the particular framework.
>>
>> Just to be clear....
>>
>> http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=Flask%3E%3D0.10&i=nope&files=&repos=
>>
>> Flask is used by 2 (relatively new) projects in OpenStack
>>
>> If we look at the iaas base layer:
>>
>> Keystone - custom WSGI with Routes / Paste
>> Glance - WSME + Routes / Paste
>> Cinder - custom WSGI with Routes / Paste
>> Neutron - pecan + Routes / Paste
>> Nova - custom WSGI with Routes / Paste
>>
>> I honestly don't think raw WSGI is a bad choice here. People are going
>> to be pretty familiar with it in related projects at this level.
>>
>> Using selector instead of Routes makes things different for unclear
>> gain. Sticking with Routes seems more prudent.
>>
>> Doing Flask is fine, but do it because we think that's the way things
>> should be done, not because it's a common in our community, which it
>> clearly is not. The common pattern is custom WSGI + Routes / Paste (at
>> least at this layer in the stack).
>>
>>     -Sean
>>

> As I told Jay, I don't care which specific framework is used. I
> care about the fact that while we're trying to get other projects
> to standardize on frameworks supported upstream so we have tools
> with good documentation and we carry less code directly in this
> community, we have consistently had a hard time convincing the nova
> team to choose one instead of building one.
>
> Jay didn't like the object-dispatch model used in Pecan, so I pointed
> out that Flask is also in use elsewhere. The fact that Flask is not yet
> widespread indicates that project teams are not needlessly rewriting
> existing API services, rather than lack of acceptance. If you don't like
> either Flaks or Pecan, look at Pyramid or Pylons or one of the others.
> But please stop building new frameworks that make your project so
> completely different from everything else in the Python ecosystem.

The amount of wsgi glue above Routes / Paste is pretty minimal (after
you get rid of all the extensions facilities).

Templating and Session handling are things we don't need. We're not a
webapp, we're a REST service. Saying that using a web app framework is
better than a little bit of wsgi glue seems weird to me.

Falcon looks like the only thing out there which is really stripped down
to this little bit of glue layer. So if the answer is "must use
framework" that seems like the right answer. However, Routes + Paste is
really the framework we are using broadly in OpenStack. And a lot of the
common middleware assume that.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague