[openstack-dev] [all][oslo] pbr potential breaking change coming

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jun 21 13:01:37 UTC 2016

A while back pbr had a feature that let projects pass "warnerror"
through to Sphinx during documentation builds, causing any warnings in
that build to be treated as an error and fail the build. This lets us
avoid things like links to places that don't exist in the docs, bad but
renderable rst, typos in directive or role names, etc.

Somewhat more recently, but still a while ago, that feature "broke"
with a Sphinx release that was not API compatible. Sachi King has
fixed this issue within pbr, and so the next release of pbr will
fix the broken behavior and start correctly passing warnerror again.
That may result in doc builds breaking where they didn't before.

The short-term solution is to turn of warnerrors (look in your
setup.cfg), then fix the issues and turn it back on. Or you could
preemptively fix any existing warnings in your doc builds before the
release, but it's simple enough to turn off the feature if there isn't
time.

Josh, Sachi, & other Oslo folks, I think we should hold off on
releasing until next week to give folks time. Is that OK?

Doug

PS - Thanks, Sachi, I know that bug wasn't a ton of fun to fix!