[openstack-dev] [nova] [api] [placement] strategy for placement api structure

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 20 13:57:29 UTC 2016

On 06/17/2016 12:14 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
>
>> In the review, you explain why you don't trust Routes and I respect
>> that. That said, are those issues logged as real problems for our API
>> consumers, which are mostly client libraries that we own and other
>> projects we know, like Horizon ?
>
> The implication of your question here is that it is okay to do HTTP
> incorrectly if people don't report problems with that lack of
> correctness?
>
>> If that is a problem for those, is there something we could improve,
>> instead of just getting rid of it ?
>
> When I found the initial problem with Routes, it was because I was
> doing some intial nova testing (with gabbi-tempest[1]) and
> discovered it wasn't returning a 405 when it should. I made a bug
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1567970
>
> and tried to fix it but Routes fought me. If someone else can figure
> it out more power to them.
>
> In any case selector's behavior in this case is just better. Better
> is better, right?

That's a Nova bug, is there an upstream Routes bug for that? I didn't
see one in looking around. While Routes isn't a super quick upstream,
they have merged our fixes in the past.

Better on what axis? This does add another way that people need to learn
to do this thing that they've all been doing another way. Largely to
address a set of issues that are theoretical to our consumers.
http://mcfunley.com/choose-boring-technology

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague