[openstack-dev] [nova] Question about redundant API samples tests for microversions

Ghanshyam Mann ghanshyam.mann at nectechnologies.in
Mon Jun 20 01:26:16 UTC 2016

Yes, we should not run redundant test case till we are trying to test the regression in previous microversion or really testing the changes does not reflect in previous version or something.
In this case, we should not run the normal hypervisor tests(present in HypervisorsSampleJsonTests) for this new microversion tests (as those does not give real benefit), if we want to tests the pagination in functional tests then it should be separate specific tests. But if we want to tests paging in functional tests, I wonder we end up with having duplicate sample template and sample files.
Otherwise I too like to tests those bits in unit tests and then in Tempest (volume pagination tests are well implemented [1]).

Tempest has taken care the redundant tests run by mentioning the max_microversion in existing parent test class [2] which make sure tests gets executed once in case of subclass too. Or other way is not to subclass microversion tests class and let is implement and run its own specific tests [3]. Those can be implemented case by case.

1 .. https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/api/volume/v2/test_volumes_list.py#L184-L193

2 .. https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/api/compute/keypairs/test_keypairs.py#L22

3 .. https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/api/compute/admin/test_keypairs_v210.py