[openstack-dev] Version header for OpenStack microversion support

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Jun 17 16:42:47 UTC 2016

On Jun 17, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Henry Nash <henrynash9 at mac.com> wrote:

> We are currently in the process of implementing microversion support in keystone - and are obviously trying to follow the cross-projec spec for this (http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/microversion_specification.html).
>
> One thing I noticed was that the header specified in this spec is of the form:
>
> OpenStack-API-Version: [SERVICE_TYPE] [X,Y]
>
> for example:
>
> OpenStack-API-Version: identity 3.7
>
> However, from what i can see of the current implementations I have seen of microversioning in OpenStack (Nova, Manilla), they use service-specific headers, e.g.

> My question is whether there a plan to converge on the generalized header format….or are we keep with the service-specific headers? I’d obviously like to implement the correct one for keystone.

Yes, the plan is to converge on the more generic headers. The Nova headers (don’t know about Manilla) pre-date the API WG spec, and were the motivation for development of that spec. We’ve even made it possible to accept both header formats [0] until things can be migrated to the recommended format.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/300077/

-- Ed Leafe