[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Integration testing for Nova API os-assisted-volume-snapshots

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 17 13:37:12 UTC 2016

On 6/17/2016 2:44 AM, Silvan Kaiser wrote:
> I'd be happy to help, too. Please drop e.g. a bug link in this thread we
> can use to follow up on things, that would be great.
> Best
> Silvan

> <mailto:sean.mcginnis at gmx.com>>:
>
>     On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 07:01:17PM +0200, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>     > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     > > Does someone have a link to a successful job run for one of those drivers?
>     > > I'd like to see if they are testing volume snapshot and that it's properly
>     > > calling the nova API and everything is working. Because this is also
>     > > something that Nova could totally unknowingly break to that flow since we
>     > > have no CI coverage for it (we don't have those cinder 3rd party CI jobs
>     > > running against nova changes).
>     > >
>     > > --
>     > >
>     >
>     > Hi Matt,
>     > I am in charge of the Scality CI. It used to report to changes in Cinder. A
>     > change in devstack broke us a couple of months ago, so I had to turn off my
>     > CI (because it was reporting false negative) while developing a patch. The
>     > patch took a long time to develop and merge but was merged finally:
>     > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310204/
>     >
>     > But in the mean time, something else crept in, hidden by the first failure.
>     > So the Scality CI is still broken, but it is my intention to find the
>     > commit that broke it and come up with a patch.
>     >
>     Jordan, please ping me when you have a patch for that and I will try to
>     make it a priority.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Sean

> --
> Dr. Silvan Kaiser
> Quobyte GmbH
> Hardenbergplatz 2, 10623 Berlin - Germany
> +49-30-814 591 800 - www.quobyte.com
> <http://www.quobyte.com/><http://www.quobyte.com/>
> Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 149012B
> Management board: Dr. Felix Hupfeld, Dr. Björn Kolbeck, Dr. Jan Stender

Getting back to the original intent of the thread, are there CI results
with instance/volume snapshot for these volume drivers so we can see
that os-assisted-volume-snapshots is passing?

I'm not particularly interested in the volume-backed instance snapshot
scenario because unless I'm mistaken, that would do something like:

1. nova-api to snapshot the instance
2. calls to nova-compute to quiesce the instance
3. then calls to cinder to snapshot the volume
4. which then cinder calls back to nova's os-assisted-volume-snapshots API

If that's the actual flow it's quite a complicated back and forth
between the two services where lots of things could break down and I
doubt get rolled back properly, similar to how cinder volume migration /
retype has to call the nova swap-volume API which then calls back to
cinder to tell it that the migration is complete.

Matt Riedemann