[openstack-dev] There is no Jenkins, only Zuul

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Jun 16 23:15:34 UTC 2016

James E. Blair wrote:
> Since its inception, the OpenStack project has used Jenkins to perform
> its testing and artifact building.  When OpenStack was two git repos,
> we had one Jenkins master, a few slaves, and we configured all of our
> jobs manually in the web interface.  It was easy for a new project
> like OpenStack to set up and maintain.  Over the years, we have grown
> significantly, with over 1,200 git repos and 8,000 jobs spread across
> 8 Jenkins masters and 800 dynamic slave nodes.  Long before we got to
> this point, we could not manage all of those jobs by hand, so we wrote
> Jenkins Job Builder[1], one of our more widely used projects, so that
> we could automatically generate those 8,000 jobs from templated YAML.
>
> We also wrote Zuul[2].
>
> Zuul is a system to drive project automation.  It directs our testing,
> running tens of thousands of jobs each day, responding to events from
> our code review system and stacking potential changes to be tested
> together.
>
> We are working on a new version of Zuul (version 3) with some major
> changes: we want to make it easier to run jobs in multi-node
> environments, easier to manage large numbers of jobs and job
> variations, support in-tree job configuration, and the ability to define
> jobs using Ansible[3].

Is the goal/idea that there would be something like a '.travis.yml'
(file or directory) that would contain the job configuration (and any
special jobs or commands or tasks) in the project repository that zuul
would then use and do things with (thus becoming more distributed, and
self-configurable and more like travis CI than what previously existed)?