[openstack-dev] [ironic] IPA DIB Ramdisk needs CI, Documentation

Jay Faulkner jay at jvf.cc
Thu Jun 16 21:48:34 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I recently tried to do some testing with the DIB ramdisk in devstack,
and found there were several bugs (I filed three yesterday) in the build
process, and additionally, no documentation or guidance on how to build
or test the images devstack in IPA developer docs (although inspector
docs have some information). Also, there is no DIB image published by
IPA (we publish CoreOS and TinyIPA images already today), and no CI for
DIB images.

This is particularly concerning given some of our third-party CI systems
are using DIB images that we don't even test for basic functionality
upstream. This could lead to failures inside their CI jobs that aren't
related whatsoever to the hardware drivers they are designed to test.

I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic-python-agent/+bug/1590935
about getting working CI for DIB, and by extension, official support.
I'd like to generally request more attention from those who use the DIB
driver in getting this working reliably in devstack, documented, and
tested. I'm willing to assist with troubleshooting and will review any
patches related to this effort if you add me as a reviewer.

Thanks,
Jay Faulkner
OSIC