[openstack-dev] [nova] A primer on data structures used by Nova to represent block devices

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 15:20:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:48:18PM +0100, Matthew Booth wrote:
> The purpose of this mail is to share what I have learned about the various
> data structures used by Nova for representing block devices. I compiled
> this for my own use, but I hope it might be useful for others, and that
> other might point out any errors.

Definitely!  Thanks for taking time to write this essay.

[Since you made the effort, worth submitting this to
nova/doc/source/nova-block-internals.rst (or some such).]

> As is usual when I'm reading code like this, I've created some cleanup
> patches to address nits or things I found confusing as I went along. I've
> posted review links at the end.
>
> A note on reading this. I refer to local disks and volumes. A local disk in
> this context is any disk directly managed by nova compute. If nova is
> configured to use Rbd or NFS for instance disks these disks won't actually
> be local, but they are still managed locally and referred to as local disks.
>
> There are 4 relevant data structures. 2 of these are general, 2 are
> specific to the libvirt driver.
>
> BlockDeviceMapping
> ===============
>
> The 'top level' data structure is the block device mapping object. It is a
> NovaObject, persisted in the db. Current code creates a BDM object for
> every disk associated with an instance, whether it is a volume or not. I
> can't confirm (or deny) that this has always been the case, though, so
> there may be instances which still exist which have some BDMs missing.
>
> The BDM object describes properties of each disk as specified by the user.
> It is initially created by the user and passed to compute api. Compute api
> transforms and consolidates all BDMs to ensure that all disks, explicit or
> implicit, have a BDM, then persists them.

What could be an example of an "implicit disk"?

> Look in nova.objects.block_device
> for all BDM fields, but in essence they contain information like
> (source_type='image', destination_type='local', image_id='<image uuid'>),
> or equivalents describing ephemeral disks, swap disks or volumes, and some
> associated data.
>
> Reader note: BDM objects are typically stored in variables called 'bdm'
> with lists in 'bdms', although this is obviously not guaranteed (and
> unfortunately not always true: bdm in libvirt.block_device is usually a
> DriverBlockDevice object). This is a useful reading aid (except when it's
> proactively confounding), as there is also something else typically called
> 'block_device_mapping' which is not a BlockDeviceMapping object.

[...]

> Reader beware: common usage is to pull 'block_device_mapping' out of this
> dict into a variable called 'block_device_mapping'. This is not a
> BlockDeviceMapping object, or list of them.
>
> Reader beware: if block_device_info was passed to the driver by compute
> manager, it was probably generated by _get_instance_block_device_info(). By
> default, this function filters out all cinder volumes from
> block_device_mapping which don't currently have connection_info. In other
> contexts this filtering will not have happened, and block_device_mapping
> will contain all volumes.
>
> Reader beware: unlike BDMs, block_device_info does not represent all disks
> that an instance might have. Significantly, it will not contain any
> representation of an image-backed local disk, i.e. the root disk of a
> typical instance which isn't boot-from-volume. Other representations used
> by the libvirt driver explicitly reconstruct this missing disk. I assume
> other drivers must do the same.

[Meta comment: Appreciate these "Reader beaware"s -- they're having
the right effect -- causing my brain to 'stand up and read more than
twice' to assimilate.]

> instance_disk_info
> =============
>
> The driver api defines a method get_instance_disk_info, which returns a
> json blob. The compute manager calls this and passes the data over rpc
> between calls without ever looking at it. This is driver-specific opaque
> data. It is also only used by the libvirt driver, despite being part of the
> api for all drivers. Other drivers do not return any data. The most
> interesting aspect of instance_disk_info is that it is generated from the
> libvirt XML, not from nova's state.
>
> Reader beware: instance_disk_info is often named 'disk_info' in code, which
> is unfortunate as this clashes with the normal naming of the next
> structure. Occasionally the two are used in the same block of code.
>
> instance_disk_info is a list of dicts for some of an instance's disks.

The above sentence reads a little awkward (maybe it's just me), might
want to rephrase it if you're submitting it as a Gerrit change.

While reading this section, among other places, I was looking at:
_get_instance_disk_info() ("Get the non-volume disk information from the
domain xml") from nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py.

> Reader beware: Rbd disks (including non-volume disks) and cinder volumes
> are not included in instance_disk_info.
>
> The dicts are:
>
>   {
>     'type': libvirt's notion of the disk's type
>     'path': libvirt's notion of the disk's path
>     'virt_disk_size': The disk's virtual size in bytes (the size the guest
> OS sees)
>     'backing_file': libvirt's notion of the backing file path
>     'disk_size': The file size of path, in bytes.
>     'over_committed_disk_size': As-yet-unallocated disk size, in bytes.
>   }
>
> disk_info
> =======
>
> Reader beware: as opposed to instance_disk_info, which is frequently called
> disk_info.
>
> This data structure is actually described pretty well in the comment block
> at the top of libvirt/blockinfo.py. It is internal to the libvirt driver.
> It contains:
>
>   {
>     'disk_bus': the default bus used by disks
>     'cdrom_bus': the default bus used by cdrom drives
>     'mapping': defined below
>   }
>
> 'mapping' is a dict which maps disk names to a dict describing how that
> disk should be passed to libvirt. This mapping contains every disk
> connected to the instance, both local and volumes.

Worth updating exising defintion of 'mapping' in
nova/virt/libvirt/blockinfo.py with your above clearer description
above?

[...]

> Additionally, disk_info will contain a mapping for 'root', which is the
> root disk. This will duplicate one of the other entries, either 'disk' or a
> volume mapping.
>
> The information for each disk is:
>
>   {
>     'bus': the bus for this disk
>     'dev': the device name for this disk as known to libvirt
>     'type': A type from the BlockDeviceType enum ('disk', 'cdrom',
> 'floppy', 'fs', or 'lun')
>
>     === keys below are optional, and may not be present
>     'format': Used to format swap/ephemeral disks before passing to
> instance (e.g. 'swap', 'ext4')
>     'boot_index': the 1-based boot index of the disk.
>   }
>
> Reader beware: BlockDeviceMapping and DriverBlockDevice store boot index
> zero-based. However, libvirt's boot index is 1-based, so the value stored
> here is 1-based.

<note-to-self>

If the value of 'bdm.boot_index' is negative, it means
do not boot from that disk.

>From _validate_bdm() in nova/compute/api.py:

    # Setting a negative value or None indicates that the device
    # be used for booting.

</note-to-self>

Thanks for writing this up, Matt!

[...]