[openstack-dev] [tempest][nova][defcore] Add option to disable some strict response checking for interop testing

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Thu Jun 16 12:35:16 UTC 2016

On 16/06/2016 00:30, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 09:10:30AM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Excerpts from Chris Hoge's message of 2016-06-14 16:37:06 -0700:
>>> Top posting one note and direct comments inline, I’m proposing
>>> this as a member of the DefCore working group, but this
>>> proposal itself has not been accepted as the forward course of
>>> action by the working group. These are my own views as the
>>> administrator of the program and not that of the working group
>>> itself, which may independently reject the idea outside of the
>>> response from the upstream devs.
>>>
>>> I posted a link to this thread to the DefCore mailing list to make
>>> that working group aware of the outstanding issues.

<snip>

>>> The current active guidelines cover icehouse through mitaka. The release
>>> of 2016.08 will change that to cover juno through mitaka (with newton
>>> as an add-on to 2016.08 when it’s released). There’s overlap between
>>> the guidelines, so 2016.01 covers juno through mitaka while 2016.08
>>> will cover kilo through newton. Essentially two years of releases.

>>> I’m beginning to wonder if we need to make DefCore use release
>>> branches then back-port bug-fixes and relevant features additions
>>> as necessary.

What I suggested when the TC decided on keeping the tests in tempest
was to keep them as a tempest plugin.

This would allow the tests to progress overtime, and be versioned,
so that def-core 201x.y would be equal to def-core-tempest-plugin
version 201x.y .

This allows the project developers to continue to develop tests that
match their vision, without causing unforeseen breakages in def-core.

It also allows the def-core tests to target a wider range - tests
that are run currently have no guarantee that they will run against
Kilo, but the def-core plugin could be tested against Kilo known good
clouds in its gate.

Is there any major blocker for moving them?