[openstack-dev] [tempest][nova][defcore] Add option to disable some strict response checking for interop testing

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 15 09:27:04 UTC 2016

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 06/14/2016 07:28 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> On 06/14/2016 05:42 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> <snip>
>> I think this is the most important thing to me as it relates to this.
>> I'm obviously a huge proponent of clouds behaving more samely. But I
>> also think that, as Doug nicely describes above, we've sort of backed in
>> to removing something without a deprecation window ... largely because
>> of the complexities involved with the system here - and I'd like to make
>> sure that when we are being clear about behavior changes that we give
>> the warning period so that people can adapt.
>
> I also think that "pass" to "pass *"  is useful social incentive. While
> I think communication of this new direction has happened pretty broadly,
> organizations are complex places, and it didn't filter everywhere it
> needed to with the urgency that was probably needed.
>
> "pass *"  * - with a greylist which goes away in 6 months
>
> Will hopefully be a reasonable enough push to get the behavior we want,
> which is everyone publishing the same interface.

I like Chris's suggestion of requiring vendors to submit the grey-list
of APIs with additional response data, and publish that *very visibly*
on their marketplace entry. That will immediately make it very clear how
they are different, provide a strong social incentive to fix it in a
reasonable timeframe, while stating as a community that such deviation
is not acceptable long-term.

We agree on the end goal: we just have to choose between "pass fail
pass" and "pass pass* pass" as a way to achieve it. I feel like the
latter is a shorter path to the desired goal, and reduces the
possibility of a "pass fail f*k-this-shit" rage outcome.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)