[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Require a level playing field for OpenStack projects

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 15 08:52:18 UTC 2016

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Some counter arguments for keeping them in:
>   * It gives the developers of the code that's being plugged into a better view of how the plugin api is used and what might break if they change it.
>   * Vendors don't tend to support drivers forever. Often they drop support for a driver once the "new" hardware comes out. Keeping it open and official gives non vendors a place to fix the drivers in the open after the vendor abandons it and operators still have the hardware they need to support.

Those are good points. Note that I do not advocate for those projects to
be kept closed/private: I'm simply saying that those (open source)
projects should not be blessed as "official" and be put under the
Technical Committee oversight. They can still exist in the OpenStack
ecosystem, be developed using Gerrit and an openstack/* git repository,
be plugged into the gate... but as an unofficial project.

So I think we can keep the benefits of having those drivers being open
source (including visibility and long-term maintenance), while
guaranteeing official "OpenStack" projects present a level playing field.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)