[openstack-dev] [DIB] Adding GPT support

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Jun 15 00:36:17 UTC 2016

Hi All,
    I'd like to add GPT partitioning supporg to DIB.  My current understanding is that the only partitioning in DIB currently is provided by partitioning-sfdisk, which will not support GPT.

My proposed solution is:

1. Create a new element called partitioning-parted  that (surprise surprise)
   uses parted to create the disk labal and partitions.  This would like along
   side partitioning-sfdisk but provide a somewhat compatible way
2. Teach partitioning-parted how to parse DIB_PARTITIONING_SFDISK_SCHEMA and
   use parted to produce msdos disklabeled partition tables
3. Deprecate partitioning-sfdisk
4. Remove partitioning-sfdisk in line with thew std. deprecation process.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Yours Tony.