[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Require a level playing field for OpenStack projects

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Jun 14 16:06:24 UTC 2016

On 06/14/2016 10:44 AM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
> On 14/06/2016 15:00, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just proposed a new requirement for OpenStack "official" projects,
>> which I think is worth discussing beyond the governance review:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/329448/
>>
>>  From an upstream perspective, I see us as being in the business of
>> providing open collaboration playing fields in order to build projects
>> to reach the OpenStack Mission. We collectively provide resources
>> (infra, horizontal teams, events...) in order to enable that open
>> collaboration.
>>
>> An important characteristic of these open collaboration grounds is that
>> they need to be a level playing field, where no specific organization is
>> being given an unfair advantage. I expect the teams that we bless as
>> "official" project teams to operate in that fair manner. Otherwise we
>> end up blessing what is essentially a trojan horse for a given
>> organization, open-washing their project in the process. Such a project
>> can totally exist as an unofficial project (and even be developed on
>> OpenStack infrastructure) but I don't think it should be given free
>> space in our Design Summits or benefit from "OpenStack community" branding.
>>
>> So if, in a given project team, developers from one specific
>> organization benefit from access to specific knowledge or hardware
>> (think 3rd-party testing blackboxes that decide if a patch goes in, or
>> access to proprietary hardware or software that the open source code
>> primarily interfaces with), then this project team should probably be
>> rejected under the "open community" rule. Projects with a lot of drivers
>> (like Cinder) provide an interesting grey area, but as long as all
>> drivers are in and there is a fully functional (and popular) open source
>> implementation, I think no specific organization would be considered as
>> unfairly benefiting compared to others.
>>
>> A few months ago we had the discussion about what "no open core" means
>> in 2016, in the context of the Poppy team candidacy. With our reading at
>> the time we ended up rejecting Poppy partly because it was interfacing
>> with proprietary technologies. However, I think what we originally
>> wanted to ensure with this rule was that no specific organization would
>> use the OpenStack open source code as crippled bait to sell their
>> specific proprietary add-on.
>>
>> I think taking the view that OpenStack projects need to be open, level
>> collaboration playing fields encapsulates that nicely. In the Poppy
>> case, nobody in the Poppy team has an unfair advantage over others, so
>> we should not reject them purely on the grounds that this interfaces
>> with non-open-source solutions (leaving only the infrastructure/testing
>> requirement to solve). On the other hand, a Neutron plugin targeting a
>> specific piece of networking hardware would likely give an unfair
>> advantage to developers of the hardware's manufacturer (having access to
> [...]

I highly recommend you spend some time interacting with the Neutron,
Nova, Cinder and Ironic communities to learn how they approach this
issue. Each community has a slightly different approach to interacting
with vendors with different pain points in each approach. I think
learning from these projects regarding this issue would be a great way
to formulate your best plan for designate. Also time spent with Mike
Perez on this issue is an investment as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you,
Anita.