[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Require a level playing field for OpenStack projects

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Tue Jun 14 14:35:37 UTC 2016

On Jun 14, 2016, at 8:57 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> A few months ago we had the discussion about what "no open core" means in 2016, in the context of the Poppy team candidacy. With our reading at the time we ended up rejecting Poppy partly because it was interfacing with proprietary technologies. However, I think what we originally wanted to ensure with this rule was that no specific organization would use the OpenStack open source code as crippled bait to sell their specific proprietary add-on.

I saw the problem with Poppy was that since it depended on a proprietary product, there was no way to run any meaningful testing with it, since you can’t simply download that product into your testing environment. Had there been an equivalent free software implementation, I think many would have not had as strong an objection in including Poppy.

-- Ed Leafe