[openstack-dev] [nova] theoretical race between live migration and resource audit?

Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) pmurray at hpe.com
Tue Jun 14 11:43:21 UTC 2016

Hi Chris, you are right – and I think there are several synchronization issues in the code there.

The migration process should be synchronized as it is in build_run_instance etc. At the moment if pre_live_migrate fails due to an RPC timeout (i.e. it takes too long for some reason) the rollback can be initiated while it is still running. So you can get volume attachments and vif plugging being built and torn down at the same time, not good. [I’m not sure if that has a bug report – I’ll file one if not].

We need to pay attention to these cases as we refactor the live migration process. This has begun with:
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/async-live-migration-rest-check.html
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/live_migration_compute_communcation.html

Paul