[openstack-dev] [cinder]The backend-group concept in Cinder

chen ying chenyingkof at outlook.com
Tue Jun 14 07:16:59 UTC 2016

Hi John,

    User case 1:
          The  backends in backend-group-1 have SSD disk, more memory . The backend-group-1 can provide higher performance to user.
          The other  backends  in  backend-group-2 have HHD disk, more capacity. The backend-group-2 can provide more storage space to user .

Not sure, but we sort of do some of this already via the filter scheduler.  An Admin can define various types (they may be set up based on performance, ssd, spinning-rust etc).  Those types are then given arbitrary definitions via a type (again details hidden from end user) and he/she can create volumes of a specific type.

Yes,  An Admin can arbitrary define various types and he/she can create volumes of a specific type. But we need to restart our cinder driver after define various types in each driver(If the driver cannot report capabilities by itself). It will not easy to manage for Admin.

Does Admin could use the concept of dynamically adding/removing backends to backend-group. In this way, we not need to modify backend configure file(such as: report a capabilities of ssd, spinning-rust etc).We can arbitrary define various types for backend-group, and also he/she can create volumes of a specific type(from backend-group type).

So for example I could say "I want these backends with capability XYZ", and many of backends from different vendors. How to manage these backends by Administrator?

Currently:

1.        Admin need modify backend configure file, let the backend report capability XYZ to filter scheduler.

2.        Restart the volume service, make the capability valid

3.        Create volume type(test_type) with capability XYZ.

4.        he/she can create volumes of a specific type(test_type)

       Now we expect:

1.        Admin add backend to backend-group

2.        Create volume type(test_type) with capability XYZ, use frefix(group or something else (group: capability = XYZ)) to distinguish between the backend capability and the backend-group capability.

3.        he/she can create volumes of a specific type(test_type)