[openstack-dev] [Higgins][Zun] Project roadmap
hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Sun Jun 12 22:10:29 UTC 2016
During the team meetings these weeks, we collaborated the initial project roadmap. I summarized it as below. Please review.
* Implement a common container abstraction for different container runtimes. The initial implementation will focus on supporting basic container operations (i.e. CRUD).
* Focus on non-nested containers use cases (running containers on physical hosts), and revisit nested containers use cases (running containers on VMs) later.
* Provide two set of APIs to access containers: The Nova APIs and the Zun-native APIs. In particular, the Zun-native APIs will expose full container capabilities, and Nova APIs will expose capabilities that are shared between containers and VMs.
* Leverage Neutron (via Kuryr) for container networking.
* Leverage Cinder for container data volume.
* Leverage Glance for storing container images. If necessary, contribute to Glance for missing features (i.e. support layer of container images).
* Support enforcing multi-tenancy by doing the following:
** Add configurable options for scheduler to enforce neighboring containers belonging to the same tenant.
** Support hypervisor-based container runtimes.
The following topics have been discussed, but the team cannot reach consensus on including them into the short-term project scope. We skipped them for now and might revisit them later.
* Support proxying API calls to COEs.
* Advanced container operations (i.e. keep container alive, load balancer setup, rolling upgrade).
* Nested containers use cases (i.e. provision container hosts).
* Container composition (i.e. support docker-compose like DSL).
NOTE: I might forgot and mis-understood something. Please feel free to point out if anything is wrong or missing.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev