[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Random IP address allocations

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Fri Jun 10 16:24:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at vmware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/292207/ has broken decomposed
> plugins. I am not sure if we can classify this as a API change – basically

Can you be more specific about how it "has broken decomposed plugins?"
 What's broken?  There are no links or anything.

> the IP address allocation model has changed. So someone prior to the patch
> could create a network and expect addresses A, B and C to be allocated in

Nothing has ever been documented indicating that you can expect this.
People just noticed a pattern and assumed they could count on it.
Anyone depending on this has been depending on an implementation
detail.  This has come up before [1].  I think we need flexibility to
allocate IPs as we need to to scale well.  I don't think we should be
restricted by defacto patterns in IP allocation that people have come
to depend on.

Any real world use should always take in to account the fact there
there may be other users of the system trying to get IP allocations in
parallel.  To them, the expected behavior doesn't change: they could
get any address from a window of the next few available addresses.
So, the problem here must be in tests running in a contrived setup
making too many assumptions.

> that order. Now random addresses will be allocated.

After nearly 3 years of dealing with DB contention around IP
allocation, this is the only way that we've been able to come up with
to finally relieve it.  When IPAM gets busy, there is a lot of racing
to get that next IP address which results in contention between worker
processes.  Allocating from a random window relieves it considerably.

> I think that this requires some discussion and we should consider reverting
> the patch. Maybe I am missing something here but this may break people who
> are working according the existing outputs of Neutron according to existing
> behavior (which may have been wrong from the start).

Some discussion was had [2][3] leading up to this change.  I didn't
think we needed broader discussion because we've already established
that IP allocation is an implementation detail [1].  The only contract
in place for IP allocation is that an IP address will be allocated
from within the allocation_pools defined on the subnet if available.

I am against reverting this patch as I have stated on the review to
revert it [4].

Carl

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58017/17
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-neutron/%23openstack-neutron.2016-03-11.log.html#t2016-03-11T17:04:57