[openstack-dev] [Kuryr] [Neutron] Waiting until Neutron Port is Active

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Fri Jun 10 13:21:31 UTC 2016

Hi Mohammad,

Why is the blocking needed?  Is it to report some kind of status back to
Docker/Kubernetes, or to allow some follow-on action to happen?

When using networking-calico as the driver, I think that only option (1)
would work, out of the options you've suggested below.  (3) doesn't work,
as you say, because Calico doesn't involve an L2 agent.  Also Calico
doesn't use the RPC message queue for reporting port status, because we've
found that that message queue is in itself a scalability bottleneck.

I guess another option would be for the using system to determine for
itself when the port appears to be working, e.g. by the host pinging the
container/pod's IP address.

Regards,
    Neil