[openstack-dev] Reasoning behind my vote on the Go topic

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Jun 9 21:30:08 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Michael Barton's message of 2016-06-09 15:59:24 -0500:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> >
> > Agreed it isn't done in uvloop. But it is done in libuv and the uvloop
> > devs agree it should be done. So this is the kind of thing where the
> > community can invest in python + C to help solve problems thought only
> > solvable by other languages.
>

> I mean, if someone wants to figure out a file server in python that can
> compete in any way with a go version, I'm totally down for rewriting swift
> to target some other python-based architecture.
>
> But personally, my desire to try to build a universe where such a thing is
> possible is pretty low.  Because I've been fighting with it for years, and
> go already works great and there's nothing wrong with it.

Mike, the whole entire crux of this thread, and Monty's words, is that
this sort of sentiment is hard to ignore, but it's even harder to ignore
the massive amount of inertia and power there is in having a community
that can all work on each others' code without investing a lot of time
in learning a new language.

That inertia is entirely the reason why other languages have surpassed
Python in some areas like concurrency. It takes longer to turn a
massive community going really hard in one direction than it does to
just start off heading in that direction in the first place. But that
turn is starting, and I for one think it's worth everyone's time to take
a hard look at whether or not we can in fact get it done together.

Nobody will force you to, but what I think Monty, and the rest of the
TC members who have voted to stay the course, are asking us all to do,
is to try to throw what we can at python solutions for these problems.