[openstack-dev] [ironic] using ironic as a replacement for existing datacenter baremetal provisioning

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:04:46 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 02:34 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I'll work on this list, as some folks that are trying start to try to
> connect ironic (IMHO without nova, because well kubernetes is enough
> like nova that there isn't a need for 2-layers of nova-like-systems at
> that point) into kubernetes as a 'resource provider'. I'm sure
> attempting to do that will expose a bunch of specific recommendations
> soon enough.

Good luck with that.

I think you'll find that all of the things that the Nova community has
spent the last 4 years working on for the "enterprise" pet VMs,
supporting NFV/network I/O-sensitive workloads with NUMA affinity and L2
networking constraints, and non-12-factor-app-from-the-start things are
going to want to be addressed in k8s [1].

I won't at all be surprised to see the k8s community three years from
now be where Nova is right now with regards to supporting these terrible
stateful applications.

k8s and mesos are all nice and hot right now, as is anything
container-related. Just because something is trendy and hot, however,
does not suddenly make the problem domains that more traditional
stateful applications find themselves in magically disappear.

Best,
-jay

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/260