[openstack-dev] [neutron] OVSDB native interface as default in gate jobs

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Jun 8 10:26:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016, at 08:32 PM, IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote:
> At Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:57:33 -0400,
> Assaf Muller wrote:

> > > True, they influence two different daemons - but it's really two options
> > > that both have two settings:
> > >
> > > * "talk to it via the CLI tool"
> > > * "talk to it via a native interface"
> > >
> > > How likely is it to have one talking via native interface and the other
> > > via CLI?
> >
> > The ovsdb native interface is a couple of cycles more mature than the
> > openflow one, I see how some users would use one but not the other.
>
> The native of_interface has been tested by periodic jobs and seems
> pretty stable.
>
> http://graphite.openstack.org/dashboard/#neutron-ovs-native
>
> > > Also, if the native interface is faster, I think we should consider
> > > making it the default.
> >
> > Definitely. I'd prefer to deprecate and delete the cli interfaces and
> > keep only the native interfaces in the long run.
> >

> > > --
> > > Sean M. Collins
>
> The native of_interface is definitely faster than the CLI alternative,
> but (un?)fortunately that's not a performance bottleneck.
>
> The transition would be a gain, but it comes with uncovering a few
> unidentified bugs etc.
>
> Anyway, I'll post an updated version of performance comparison shortly.

Going to resurrect this thread to see where we have gotten. Did an
updated comparison ever get posted? If so I mised it. Looks like Neutron
does have functional tests now that use the native interfaces for ovsdb
and openflow. The change to update the default interface for ovsdb is
still in review though.

Any chance that we document these choices yet?

Clark