[openstack-dev] [Nova] State machines in Nova

Miles Gould mgould at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 11:33:42 UTC 2016

On 01/06/16 16:45, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Do u have any more details (perhaps an 'real-life' example that you can
> walk us through) of this and how it played out. It'd be interesting to
> hear (I believe it has happened a few times but I've never heard how it
> was resolved or the details of it).

The most recent example was IIRC the proposed addition of an ADOPTING state:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/275766/

Here's the log of the meeting where we argued about how to deal with it:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/ironic/2016/ironic.2016-05-16-17.00.log.html#l-66

Eventually we put it to a vote, and the "tell the client the truth, even
if they're too old to handle it properly" side won.

Miles