[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [diskimage-builder] Howto refactor?

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Jun 1 06:06:55 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 02:10 PM, Andre Florath wrote:
> My long term goal is, to add some functionality to the DIB's block
> device layer, like to be able to use multiple partitions, logical
> volumes and mount points.

Some thoughts...

There's great specific info in the readme's of the changes you posted
... but I'm missing a single big picture context of what you want to
build on-top of all this and how the bits fit into it.  We don't have
a formalised spec or blueprint process, but something that someone who
knows *nothing* about this can read and follow through will help; I'd
suggest an etherpad, but anything really.  At this point, you are
probably the world-expert on dib's block device layer, you just need
to bring the rest of us along :)

There seems to be a few bits that are useful outside the refactor.
Formalising python elements, extra cleanup phases, dib-run-parts
fixes, etc.  Splitting these out, we can get them in quicker and it
reduces the cognitive load for the rest.  I'd start there.

#openstack-infra is probably fine to discuss this too, as other dib
  knowledgeable people hang out there.

-i