[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova][requirements] Getting oslo.context 2.6.0 into the gate

Jamie Lennox jamielennox at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 18:17:14 UTC 2016

On 27 July 2016 at 19:10, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 04:09:54PM +0200, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> > Since yesterday, Nova uses "oslo.context" 2.6.0 [1] but the needed
> > change [2] is not yet in place, which broke "gate-nova-python27-db"[3].
> > Logstash counts 70 hits/h [4]. Most folks will be at the midcycle in
> > Portland and won't be available for the next 2h or so.
> > If you can have a look at it and merge it, that would be great.

> https://github.com/openstack/requirements/commit/238389c4ee1bd3cc9be4931dd2639aea2dae70f1
> > [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/342604/1
> > [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1603979
> > [4] logstash: http://goo.gl/79yFb9
>
> I feel like we need to make a plan to more forward and that's going to
> require
> some coordination.
>
> The requirements team saw this coming in that nova's tests failed when
> 2.6.0
> was added to the upper-constraints.txt.  We had a plan[1] but then failed
> execute.  The requirements team has a couple of TODOs from there but the
> biggest one is to add actual cross-project gate checks so that we have
> *very
> strong* signals that things will break.
>
> So the state we're in is
> oslo.context 2.6.0 is out and used in all projects that *do not* honor
> upper-constraints.txt
> oslo.context 2.5.0 is being used by all projects that *do* honor
> upper-constraints.txt
>
> The Path forward IMO is
>
> a) Unblock oslo.context 2.6.0
>     - But leave upper-constraints.txt pointing to 2.5.0
>     - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347608/
>         * We can test shims/fixes against this.

I think this gets easier with the release of 2.7 as we can hopefully just
bump minimum requirements to here and forget the whole 2.6 mess.

> b) Identify projects that break with > 2.5.0
>     - Seems like this is (at least)
>         - Trove

check job: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/349204/

        - Nova

check job: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348204/

        - Designate

check job: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/349205/

        - Others?
> c) Add shims to them to work with 2.5.0 and newer
>     - Nova: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/342604/ and
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348057/
> d) Bump u-c to point at "the latest"
> e) Bump the minium in g-r to 2.6.0
> f) Remove items from 'c'
>
> Notes:
>  - The requirements team will not be able to merge any change that bumps
>    oslo.context in u-c until step 'd'.  The reality here is due to our
>    tooling/gating that probably means that all u-c changes will be paused
>  - As stated in my pre-amble we're working on testing to make this better.
>  - We almost certainly need a corss-project session during the design
> summit to
>    discuss the API boundry for the context and how projects are
>    expected/allowed to use it.

Thanks Tony. I think this will work well. I hope not many other projects
will need the same shims nova did as we've patched a few already.
I completely agree on the cross-project oslo.context session and offer to
take that one as there are a number of plans around improving it that have
not been properly communicated.