[openstack-dev] [infra] Switch 'all?' openstack bots to errbot plugins?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jul 29 16:18:36 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2016-07-29 08:47:32 -0700:
> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2016-07-28 23:17:52 -0700 (-0700), Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> >> As I recall this has been on a long list of "we want to do it". It
> >> really just comes down to someone putting effort into making it
> >> happen.
> >
> > Yes, it's come up semi-often (also Joshua mentioned this to me over
> > IRC earlier in the week where I basically told him the same).
> > There's been a general consensus that the Infra team would love to
> > see the IRC bots it manages (gerribot, meetbot, statusbot) rewritten
> > in a common framework, preferably a modern and extensible one. The
> > last time anyone looked into options (which admittedly was probably
> > at least a year ago), errbot seemed like the leading contender for
> > our desired language and featureset.
> >
> > To echo Morgan, we just need (and would really appreciate!) someone
> > working on the implementation.
>
> I'll see what I can do in my (spare time), but others are also willing
> to jump in and learn some errbot ;)
>
> The previously mentioned examples of plugins (repeated here) are IMHO
> good things to look at if people are interested in messing around:
>
> - https://github.com/harlowja/gerritbot2
> - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/343857/
>
> I guess if people want to jump in and explore, message me as well on IRC
> (or email or smoke signals...),
>
> -Josh

I have a couple of commands I'd like to add, too. How about if we
set up a repo for errbot plugins and start working on them in the
review system?  Then when we feel like we've hit a critical mass
of "usefulness" we can start adding an infra-hosted copy of the new
bot to channels, and migrating remaining features from the older
bots over to the new one.

Doug