[openstack-dev] [Neutron] SFC stable/mitaka version

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 11:54:18 UTC 2016

> Cathy Zhang <Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ihar and all,
>>
>> Yes, we have been preparing for such a release. We will do one more round
>> of testing to make sure everything works fine, and then I will submit the
>> release request.
>> There is a new patch on "stadium: adopt openstack/releases in subproject
>> release process" which is not Merged yet.
>> Shall I follow this
>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/stadium/sub_project_guidelines.html#sub-project-release-process
>> to submit the request?
>> Do you have a good bug example for Neutron sub-project release request?
>

> For the time being, until the patch landds, you may follow any of those
> directions.
>
> An example of a release request bug is:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/networking-bagpipe/+bug/1589502
>

>> BTW, a functional and tempest patch for networking-sfc has been uploaded
>> and it might take some time for the team to complete the review. The test is
>> non-voting. Do you think we should wait until this patch is merged or
>> release can be done without it?
>

> It would be great to have CI voting, but then, you already lag with the
> release for months comparing to release date of Neutron Mitaka, and you risk
> getting into Phase II support mode before you even release the first
> version. If you don’t envision release blocker bugs in the branch, I would
> suggest you release the thing and then follow up with bug fixes for whatever
> you catch later on. In a way, it’s better to release a half baked release
> than to not release at all. That’s to follow the ‘release often’ mantra, and
> boost adoption.

I agree with Ihar, but I think there are several points to be checked
before the release.

- The code should be tested against mitaka version of neutron.
  Currently the master branch of networking-sfc is tested against neutron master
  and we haven't tested it against neutron stable/mitaka after Mitaka
was released.

- networking-sfc branch already contains newton db migration (see
db/migration/alambic_migrations/versions/newton).
  What I am not sure is whether it needs to be a part of mitaka release or not,
  but you need to be careful when cutting stable/mitaka branch.

Thanks,
Akihiro