[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] unresolved topics in resource providers/placement api

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jul 28 18:10:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016, Jay Pipes wrote:

>> * There was some discussion of adding a configuration setting (e.g.
>>   'placement_connection') that if not None (the default) would be
>>   used as the connection for the placement database. If None, the
>>   API database would be used. I can't recall if we said 'yea' or
>>   'nay' to this idea. The current code uses the api database and its
>>   config.
>
> The decision at the mid-cycle was to add a new placement_sql_connection
> configuration option to the nova.conf. The default value would be None which
> would mean the code in nova/objects/resource_provider.py would default to
> using the API database setting.

Roger that. I was pretty sure that was what we decided but wanted to
confirm as unless I'm mistaken it is a considerable change.

As I understand things it means:

* integrating however much of Roman's WIP at
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/342384/ is required (we need our
   own copies of the models and migrations and a manage script to do
   a db-sync, yes?)
* adding the config setting
* doing the creation of the correct transaction context dependent on
   that config
* adding the new db into the existing nova.fixtures so the tests can work
* reno note

Do we want to test against both configurations?

>> # less straightforward and further out things

[snip]

> This will be in Ocata.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about this. By "further out" I meant "not
newton". I'll spin off an adjacent thread to deal with any followups
on these parts. I think it is useful to keep the conversation
flowing on these topics, especially after all the input and
discussion at the mid-cycle.

--
Chris Dent               ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)         http://anticdent.org/