[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Mark Casey markcasey at pointofrental.com
Thu Jul 28 16:20:08 UTC 2016

+1 to one more pass at using the same images. Doing so will become
practically impossible in a matter of weeks or months, and in the long
term the additional shared human resources outweigh the interpersonal
complexities (and for any who don't think so - maybe you're wasting your
time here?).

Logically, I just view Kolla's existing containers as a thin wrapper
around OpenStack projects' debs and rpms (though I understand there are
many differences from a purely technical standpoint, and that the
containers can be built entirely from source instead). I suppose I view
them this way because building the existing containers creates
deployable artifacts (that is, the images) and these images have a lot
of the same qualities as traditional deb/rpm packages. The resulting
artifacts in both cases are somewhat immutable, they both put programs
in certain places, both expect configs in certain places, both configure
logs to be written in certain places, etc. In fact a lot of these
locations in the container's case are dictated by where they are
expected in the packages. Sharing the images could further standardize
things.

This is different IMHO than deployment tooling in the usual
configuration management sense, which I presume is one of the reasons
for this possible Kolla repo-split to begin with. I certainly see the
upsides to having a diverse set of tooling to deploy project artifacts
(deb/rpm/container image/git commit [i.e. from source]), but I don't get
duplicating the artifacts themselves over relatively simple
technicalities. I highly doubt anyone would create a major packaging
variation in the deb/rpm packaging (perhaps where all OpenStack projects
are deployable from a single rpm or deb [wouldn't that be fun!], or
perhaps a switch to FPM) merely because it made sense for a new
deployment project. (to be clear though, I am in general happy to have
more deployment options coming online)

Thank you,
Mark