[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 14:52:39 UTC 2016

On 28/07/16 15:48 +0300, Vladimir Kozhukalov wrote:
>>1. Alter the mission statement of fuel to match the reality being
>
>>published by the press and Mirantis's executive team
>
>>2. Include these non-experimental repos in the projects.yaml governance
>
>>Repository
>
>Frankly, I don’t understand what part of the press release contradicts with
>Fuel mission.
>
>Current Fuel mission is “To streamline and accelerate the process of
>deploying, testing and maintaining various configurations of OpenStack at
>scale.” which means we are not bound to any specific technology when
>deploying OpenStack.

TBH, I also think this statement is broad enough to cover containers. Unless the
request is to explicitly mention "containers" in the mission statement, I think
there's no need to change it. I'd also be against having "containers" being
explicitly mentioned in Fuel's statement, FWIW. I don't think it'd be of any
benefit/use. Unless I'm missing something fundamental here, of course.

>At the moment Fuel deploys RPM/DEB packages using Puppet and Fuel specific
>orchestration mechanism. We are not going to drop this approach
>immediately, it works quite well and we are working hard to make things
>better (including ability to upgrade). But we also keep in mind that
>technologies are constantly changing and we’d like to benefit of this
>progress. That is why we are now looking at Docker containers and
>Kubernetes. Our users know that it is not our first experience of trying to
>use containers. Fuel releases prior to 9.0 used to deploy Fuel services in
>containers on the Fuel admin node.
>
>Many of you know how difficult it is to upgrade OpenStack clusters. We hope
>that containers could help us to solve not all but some of problems that we
>encounter when upgrading cluster. Maintaining and hence upgrade of
>OpenStack clusters is a part of Fuel mission and we are just trying to find
>a way how to do things.
>
>Why not Kolla but Fuel-ccp? It is not a secret that Fuel is driven by
>Mirantis. At Mirantis we deploy and maintain OpenStack. In attempts to find
>a way how to make OpenStack easily maintainable, some of Mirantis folks
>spent some time to contribute to Kolla and Mesos. But there were some
>concerns that were discussed several times (including this Kolla spec
>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/330575) that would make it not so easy to
>use Kolla containers for our use cases. Fuel-ccp is just an attempt to
>address these concerns. Frankly, I don’t see anything bad in having more
>than one set of container images (like we have more than one set of RPM/DEB
>distributions).

++

Flavio