[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] unresolved topics in resource providers/placement api

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:12:52 UTC 2016

Chris, thank you so much for putting this email together. Really
appreciate it. Comments inline. :)

On 07/28/2016 09:57 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> I've been reviewing my notes from the mid-cycle and discussions
> leading up to it and realized I have a few unresolved or open topics
> that I hope discussion here can help resolve:
>
> # fairly straightforward things
>
> * At what stage in the game (of the placement api) do we need to
>   implement oslo_policy handling and enforcement? Right now the auth
>   model is simply all-admin-role-all-the-time.

I think this is perfectly acceptable behaviour for Newton. In Ocata, we
can add support for the new code-driven oslo.policy work from laski.

> * There was some discussion of adding a configuration setting (e.g.
>   'placement_connection') that if not None (the default) would be
>   used as the connection for the placement database. If None, the
>   API database would be used. I can't recall if we said 'yea' or
>   'nay' to this idea. The current code uses the api database and its
>   config.

The decision at the mid-cycle was to add a new placement_sql_connection
configuration option to the nova.conf. The default value would be None
which would mean the code in nova/objects/resource_provider.py would
default to using the API database setting.

Deployers who want to alleviate the need for a (potentially disruptive)
data migration of tables from the API database to the new placement
database would be able to set placement_sql_connection to a separate
(from the API DB) URI that the placement service would begin writing
records to in Newton. A reno note should accompany the patch that adds
placement_sql_connection to inform deployers about their ability to
proactively help future upgrades by setting placement_sql_connection to
a different URI than the Nova API DB URI.

> # less straightforward and further out things
>
> There was some discussion that conflicted with reality a bit and I
> think we need to resolve before too long, but shouldn't impact the
> newton-based changes:
>
> We bounced around two different HTTP resources for returning one or
> several resource providers in response to a launch request:
>
> * POST /allocations
>
>   returns a representation of the one target for this launch
>   request, already claimed

This will be in Ocata.

We should work on a spec that outlines the plan for this call and have
it submitted and ready for discussion in Barcelona.

> * GET /resource_providers
>
>   returns a list of candidate targets for a launch request, similar
>   to what the existing select_destinations RPC call can do

This will also be in Ocata. Any calls from the nova-scheduler to the new
placement API are going into Ocata.

For Newton, we decided that the concrete goal was to have inventory and
allocation records written *from the nova-compute workers* directly to
the placement HTTP API.

As a stretch goal for Newton, we're going to try and get the dynamic
resource classes CRUD operations added to the placement REST API as
well. This will allow Ironic to participate in the brave new
resource-providers world with the 'node resource class' that Ironic is
adding to their API. [1]

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345080/

> The immediate problem here is that something else is already using
> GET /resource_providers:
>
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/generic-resource-pools.html#get-resource-providers
>
> Whatever the URI, it's not clear that GET would be correct here:
>
> * We'll probably want to send a body so GET is not ideal.
>
> * We could pass a reference to a persisted "request spec" as a query
>   string item, thus maintaining a GET, but that seems to go against
>   the grain of "give a thing the info it needs to get stuff done" that
>   is elsewhere in the system.
>
>   I'd personally be pretty okay with launch-info-by-reference mode as
>   it allows the placement API to be in charge of request what version
>   of a launch request it wants rather than its clients needing to know
>   what version the placement API might accept.
>
> It's pretty clear that were going to need at least an interim and
> maybe permanent endpoint that returns a list of candidate target
> resource providers. This is because, at least initially, the
> placement engine will not be able to resolve all requirements down
> to the one single result and additional filtering may be required in
> the caller.
>
> The question is: Will that need for additional filtering always be
> present and if so do we:
>
> * consider that a bad thing that we should strive to fix by
>   expanding the powers and size of the placement engine
> * consider that a good thing that allows the placement engine to be
>   relatively simple and keeps edge-case behaviors being handled
>   elsewhere
>
> If the latter, then we'll have to consider how an allocation/claim
> in a list of potential allocations can be essentially reserved,
> verified, or rejected.
>
> As an example of expanding the powers, there is the
> ResourceProviderTags concept, described in:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345138/
>
> This will expand the data model of resource providers and the surface
> area of the HTTP API. This may very well be entirely warranted, but
> there might be other options if we assuming that returning a list is
> "normal".

All of the above are excellent points, but for Ocata. It would be great
to create a targeted ML thread *just for discussions on the GET
/resource_providers and POST /allocations calls* so that we can keep the
conversation targeted.

Best,
-jay